Gestational Diabetes & Birth Injury
Serving Clients Throughout New York City for Close to 30 Years
There are some birth injuries that begin because of an illness or condition that was experienced by the mother during pregnancy. One such case is gestational diabetes. This type of diabetes begins while the woman is pregnant or was first diagnosed during pregnancy. The reason for this is that the hormones that were created for carrying the child are blocking the insulin and causing high blood sugar.
Some women are more at risk of contracting this than others. For example, if the woman was over 25 when she became pregnant or had a history of diabetes in the family, the chances of gestational diabetes will increase. Other issues that could also contribute to this include too much amniotic fluid or high blood pressure.
If you are worried that you might undergo this type of condition, there are some symptoms that you could be on the lookout for. The more common symptoms include: blurred vision, fatigue, frequent infections, nausea, weight loss, and increased urination. In order to catch this and be able to bring it under control, all women should be tested during their 24th and 28th week.
Following this, treatment will be provided so that the sugar levels are kept below normal limits and that the baby is healthy. It is the responsibility of the doctor to detect and treat gestational diabetes. If they do not, they could be held responsible for any of the consequences.
Besides medical treatment, there are some other ways that mothers can control this diabetes. By watching what they eat and cutting back on food containing a high amount of sugar, the levels could be brought under control. This is important because high blood sugar levels will not only harm the mother, but the child as well.
Mothers with gestational diabetes usually give birth to heavier babies and this increases the risk of birth injuries occurring during labor and delivery. After birth, the baby may even have hypoglycemia for the first several days. The worst consequence is that it increases the risk of the child being stillborn or dying shortly after birth.
Learn how a New York birth injury lawyer could help!
If you or your child have suffered because of gestational diabetes and you believe that your healthcare provider did not do enough to treat you, you could have a medical malpractice case. By talking to our team of professionals, you could get aggressive defense and compassionate representation.
We have over 60 years of combined experience on our side and understand how best to fight for you. Call our firm today for help!
Mr. Lichtenstein is the most successful New York trial lawyer and foremost legal scholar on Cerebral Palsy, Erb's Palsy, Brachial Plexus and other birth injury cases
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $15.3 million verdict in an Erb's Palsy / Brachial Plexus injury, birth trauma case.. This was a record verdict;
- $9.3 million case that involved the claimed failure to timely diagnose meningitis in a 5 month old baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 million for child brain damaged because of medical malpractice - a case other prominent attorneys turned away;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;