Mental Retardation from Birth Injuries
Serving Clients Throughout New York City for Close to 30 Years
If your child has been diagnosed with mental retardation, you could be the victim of medical malpractice. Although brain disorders do happen without any outside help, there are times when a doctor error or hospital error was the cause of the injury.
The definition of mental retardation is a disorder that appears in infants and children whose cognitive functioning is below normal. It is a type of intellectual disability that the individual is born with or acquires from a disease or accident.
Up to 3% of the population suffers from some type of mental retardation, but only 25% of the time can doctors determine how it was caused. The effects of mental retardation include problems with memory, lack of social skills, difficulty in learning language, and more. Although it can be cause by genetics, when it is related to a birth injury, it could have been caused by the negligence of a doctor.
There are no cures for this type of disorder, but there are treatments that focus on helping people who suffer from mental retardation to live life to the fullest. For example, a focus on teaching social skills and self-care skills can help them to live independently. Contact our New York birth injury lawyers to learn more!
There is simply no excuse for the professional negligence of a doctor. Medical professionals are sworn to do their best in the treatment of their patients, and to cause harm—no matter how unintentional—should still be under their full responsibility. Parents of children whose mental retardation are the result of negligence have all the right to pursue damages against the health care providers who have handled the procedure poorly.
If you believe that your child has suffered from mental retardation because of medical malpractice and birth injuries, please talk to our legal team as soon as possible. We will investigate every aspect of your case and interview witnesses who could help your defense. The treatments that your child will need can be extremely costly, so it is important that you receive a fair settlement for your pain and suffering.
With over 60 years of combined experience, you can be confident that they have the skill and knowledge base to help you. Contact our firm today for the help you need in your case!
The Law Offices of Joseph Lichtenstein provides legal services to most areas around New York City, including the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, as well as Long Island, Westchester, Rockland County and Orange County. We offer New York communities our expertise as birth injury lawyers, among other legal services. For more information on our services, or to schedule a consultation, visit our contact us page or call us at (888) 392-3104.
Mr. Lichtenstein is the most successful New York trial lawyer and foremost legal scholar on Cerebral Palsy, Erb's Palsy, Brachial Plexus and other birth injury cases
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $15.3 million verdict in an Erb's Palsy / Brachial Plexus injury, birth trauma case.. This was a record verdict;
- $9.3 million case that involved the claimed failure to timely diagnose meningitis in a 5 month old baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 million for child brain damaged because of medical malpractice - a case other prominent attorneys turned away;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;