New York City Anesthesia Errors Lawyer
Serving Clients throughout New York City for Close to 30 Years
While anesthesia is widely used and considered to be a safe medical practice, if negligence occurs on the part of the professional who is monitoring the patient, anesthesia can be complicated and dangerous. If you or a loved one has suffered because of an anesthesia error, you may have a Medical Malpractice claim against the anesthesiologist, doctor, nurses or other health providers whose case you or your loved one was under at the time. In worst case scenarios, an error can lead to death so make sure that you have the legal counsel of a medical malpractice attorney.
Breakdown of How Anesthesia Works
Anesthesia comes from the Greek phrase for "loss of sensation" – and for many people, this is where the understanding of the process ends. When undergoing a medical procedure, the patient will often be anesthetized, in varying dosages depending on the severity of the operation. For example, they might just have an area numbed or might be "put under" and made unconscious for the entire process.
The four main types of anesthetics that are utilized include:
- Local – Only one small area of the body is numbed. Your mind will stay alert and you will be fully conscious of everything going on.
- Conscious – Also known as Intravenous (IV) Sedation, this is used to relax the patient and soothe anxiety. While conscious, it is likely that you may not remember any part of the procedure.
- Regional – Numbs out portions of the body – like an entire arm or leg. This could also include Epidurals which are utilized during childbirth to help birthing mothers.
- General – The most common type which causes the patient to fall asleep. They feel nothing and have no memory of the procedure.
Contact a New York Medical Malpractice Attorney Today!
Unfortunately, while anesthesia can be extremely useful in allowing patients to endure tough medical procedures – it can also go horribly wrong. Having the advice of a medical malpractice attorney for cases in Bronx and the surrounding areas can give you sufficient information on possible problems related to improper use of anesthesia.
An anesthesia error can occur if the wrong dosage is given, the patient is not properly monitored while asleep, oxygen is not properly administered to the patient, the medical professionals fail to notice if a patient is under stress or reacting poorly to the anesthesia, or any other number of negligent mistakes.
Should the medical professionals use too high of a dosage or use faulty equipment, it could cause the patient to wake up too soon, suffer brain damage or suffer from fatal injuries. Speak with a medical malpractice attorney today for help in your anesthesia error case!
The Law Offices of Joseph Lichtenstein provides legal services to most areas around New York City, including the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, as well as Long Island, Westchester, Suffolk County, and Nassau County. We offer New York communities our expertise as birth injury lawyers, among other legal services. For more information on our services, or to schedule a consultation, visit our contact us page or call us at (888) 392-3104.
Mr. Lichtenstein is the most successful New York trial lawyer and foremost legal scholar on Cerebral Palsy, Erb's Palsy, Brachial Plexus and other birth injury cases
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $15.3 million verdict in an Erb's Palsy / Brachial Plexus injury, birth trauma case.. This was a record verdict;
- $9.3 million case that involved the claimed failure to timely diagnose meningitis in a 5 month old baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 million for child brain damaged because of medical malpractice - a case other prominent attorneys turned away;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;