Long Island Medical Negligence Attorney
Serving Clients throughout New York City for Close to 30 Years
Medical negligence occurs when a doctor, nurse or health provider commits a medical error, which can be prescribing the wrong treatment for an illness or ailment, or executing the correct treatment improperly. If this leads to further injury, illness, or even death on the part of the patient, the health provider may be guilty of medical negligence. If you have been the victim of medical negligence in NYC, you may still be suffering from your illness.
If this extended illness or ailment has prevented you from being able to work, you may be able to get monetary compensation for those lost wages. If your medical bills increased because of this incorrect treatment, and you are now under a mountain of debt from your medical bills, our experienced medical malpractice lawyers may be able to help you get those bills paid off so you can be financially secure again.
Elements of Proof in a Medical Negligence Case
Medical negligence is defined as the improper or unskilled treatment given by a health care professional, regardless of whether this stems from treatment received at a doctor’s office, from a nurse or even by a dentist. If you have been injured by the negligent behavior of a medical professional, it is important to recognize that your lawyer will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, the four following elements:
- Your medical professional had a duty of care;
- They violated the standard of care;
- You suffered an injury; and
- The injured was caused as a result of the violation
The burden of proof for the above elements will be placed squarely on your shoulders and it will become your responsibility to prove this to the court. One of the most difficult things to prove in a medical negligence case is the violation of standards of care. This is a subjective understanding of what the medical professional is required to provide and can change from person to person – depending on their perspective.
While this was previously judged against local behavior, this has since changed and is judged on a national basis. In many cases, it will be required to bring in expert witnesses who will be able to walk through the procedures to help outline and define what would have been considered a reasonable standard of care. In some cases, standards that organizations establish may be used as guidelines.
Importance of Hiring a New York Medical Malpractice Lawyer
At The Law Offices of Joseph Lichtenstein we don’t shy away from difficult cases. We have taken on and won many cases that other law firms refused to take on simply because we want what’s best for our clients. We have won multimillion dollar settlements for our clients. We will not avoid going to court if we think we can win your case in court.
We recruit top medical experts in the field to testify about our clients’ records and the negligence they suffered at the hands of their doctors and health providers. Our attorneys have years of experience handling medical malpractice cases and considered to be some of the top attorneys in their field in NYC. Our knowledge in this field of law may be beneficial to you and your case.
We provide legal services to most areas around New York City, including the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, as well as Long Island, Westchester, Suffolk County and Nassau County. Call us today at (888) 392 3104 or send us a message through our Contact Us page to find out if you have a medical negligence case that can be litigated to fight for your interests. We offer New York communities our expertise as medical malpractice lawyers and birth injury lawyers, among other legal services. All initial consultations with us are FREE.
Mr. Lichtenstein is the most successful New York trial lawyer and foremost legal scholar on Cerebral Palsy, Erb's Palsy, Brachial Plexus and other birth injury cases
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $15.3 million verdict in an Erb's Palsy / Brachial Plexus injury, birth trauma case.. This was a record verdict;
- $9.3 million case that involved the claimed failure to timely diagnose meningitis in a 5 month old baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 million for child brain damaged because of medical malpractice - a case other prominent attorneys turned away;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;