Overturning “Maternal Forces of Labor”
Serving Clients Throughout New York City for Close to 30 Years
In 2012, our firm made history in made litigation history in a brachial plexus injury / erg's palsy case. In Muhammad v. Fitzpatrick Mr. Lichtenstein precluded the “maternal forces of labor” defense – a defense which had stood for 20 years, and been used to deprive many injured children around the United States of compensation to which they should have been entitled and which they deserved.
This defense claims that brachial plexus or Erb’s palsy injuries are caused by the forces of labor and maternal pushing, and not by medical professionals. Mr. Lichtenstein succeeded where others around the Country had failed – he proved this defense was unreliable “junk science” – and the Appellate Court agreed to throw it out.
Even after that, other firms tried to achieve the same result and failed.
Mr. Lichtenstein then went back to work, and successfully precluded the defense on 2 other cases. See the opinions here:
Mr. Lichtenstein remains the only attorney in the entire United States to achieve this remarkable success, and he has done it multiple times. Click here to learn more about what the preclusion of the maternal forces of labor means for you.
Mr. Lichtenstein is the most successful New York trial lawyer and foremost legal scholar on Cerebral Palsy, Erb's Palsy, Brachial Plexus and other birth injury cases
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $15.3 million verdict in an Erb's Palsy / Brachial Plexus injury, birth trauma case.. This was a record verdict;
- $9.3 million case that involved the claimed failure to timely diagnose meningitis in a 5 month old baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 million for child brain damaged because of medical malpractice - a case other prominent attorneys turned away;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;