Has A Truck Accident Caused A Personal Injury Situation?
Serving Clients Throughout New York City for Close to 30 Years
Throughout the nation, large 18 wheelers are responsible for a huge portion of our economy. Unfortunately, that they are also the cause of catastrophic motor vehicle accidents. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there were over four thousand fatal truck accidents in 2005, which involved almost five thousand vehicles and over eight hundred occupant fatalities. This occurs through a wide range of causes, including fatigued drivers violating hours of service (HOS) regulations and defective truck parts, such as tires, brakes and steering wheels.
Causes of Truck Accidents
What are the most common causes of truck accidents in the U.S.? This is not only an important question when seeking to prevent accidents like this from happening, but when trying to determine who was responsible for causing an accident after the fact. At The Law Offices of Joseph Lichtenstein, our injury lawyers serving Brooklyn, Long Island, and Bronx are experienced in handling truck accident cases and can help you understand the different legal scenarios involved.
One of the leading causes of accidents is truck driver fatigue. As truck drivers spend long hours behind the wheel, tiredness is a constant battle. If, however, they work longer than federal regulations allow or fail to take a break, they could be accountable for any accident that resulted.
In other cases, the cause of the accident can be traced back to the training of the driver, or lack thereof. Accidents are also more likely to happen when the truck is larger than usual or is overloaded with cargo. Again, if regulations were violated in the size of the truck cargo, this could point to negligence.
A factor that is outside of the driver's control is that of adverse weather conditions. Bad road conditions or poor visibility could hinder the driver's ability to navigate safely, but they are still responsible for their part. They should slow down or pull over altogether if it is thought that conditions were becoming too dangerous.
Other causes of truck accidents, however, are clearly a violation of the law. Speeding or aggressive driving is even more serious when committed by a truck driver simply due to the sheer size and weight of these vehicles. If a truck driver was found to be driving under the influence of alcohol following an accident, they will also be facing severe consequences under law. As determining the cause of a truck accident can often be difficult, it is important that you have a skilled injury attorney on your side who can investigate the evidence in your case.
Due to the differences between interstate trucking cases and other motor vehicle collision cases, it is essential that you hire an experienced injury lawyer who understands the nature and complexity of these cases. If you or a loved one has a catastrophic interstate truck and bus wreck case please contact injury attorneys immediately to discuss your options. Being injured in a trucking accident can result in huge medical bills, car repair bills, and lost wages from not being well enough to work.
If you have suffered any of these misfortunes as a result of being in a trucking accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Our firm has won numerous cases for our clients over the years, including many multimillion dollar settlements. We are a large firm that will spare no expense in defending our clients. Our injury attorneys may be able to help you win your case and get compensation for your expenses and suffering. We are dedicated to helping our clients who are the victims of trucking accidents as well as other forms of personal injury cases.
The Law Offices of Joseph Lichtenstein provides legal services to most areas around New York City, including the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, as well as Long Island, Westchester, Rockland County and Orange County. We offer New York communities our expertise as birth injury lawyers, among other legal services. For more information on our services, or to schedule a consultation, visit our contact us page or call us at (888) 392-3104.
Mr. Lichtenstein is the most successful New York trial lawyer and foremost legal scholar on Cerebral Palsy, Erb's Palsy, Brachial Plexus and other birth injury cases
- $47 Million Dollar Verdict in Brooklyn Case for a Brain Injured Baby;
- $15.3 million verdict in an Erb's Palsy / Brachial Plexus injury, birth trauma case.. This was a record verdict;
- $9.3 million case that involved the claimed failure to timely diagnose meningitis in a 5 month old baby;
- $8 Million Dollars Settlement Value in Nassau County Case for Brain Damaged Baby;
- $5 Million Dollar Settlement in Queens Case for Woman injured by a truck;
- $4.4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Woman with a Stroke;
- $4 million for child brain damaged because of medical malpractice - a case other prominent attorneys turned away;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for baby with cerebral palsy from medical Malpractice;
- $4 Million Dollar Settlement in Bronx Case for Baby brain damages in Hospital;
- $2.75 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case involving a fire from a product defect;
- $2.6 Million Dollar Verdict in New York City Case for a Man Dying from a Heart Attack;
- $2.5 Million Dollar Settlement in Brooklyn Case for baby brain damages at birth;
- $2 Million Dollar Settlement in an Orange County Case for a baby brain damaged at birth;
- $1.8 Million Dollar Settlement after Verdict in Westchester County Case involving a truck accident;